When you have to send any kind of message, an invitation, or any kind of small items to any of your friends, relatives, or any other persons, then you can do it through the Postage services of USPS. There are many kinds of envelopes issued by USPS for the delivery of your small products within the USA or in other countries. One such envelope is a 6×9 envelope. In this article, we will explain in detail how many Stamps you require for a 6×9 envelope and the cost of a 6×9 envelope postage.
How Many Stamps for a 6×9 Envelope?
You can post your 6×9 envelope in one of the two ways. One method of posting 6×9 envelopes is through First Class mail and the second method is through Priority Mail Flat. Below we will explain both these methods of 6×9 Envelope Postage.
First Class Postage Mail for 6×9 Envelope
To post a 6×9 envelope that has a weight of less than or up to 1 ounce can be posted through the First Class Mail service of USPS. You can post up to 1 Oz, 6×9 envelope by using 1 Forever First Class USPS Stamp.
If the weight of your 6×9 envelope increases then you will need an additional Stamp for each extra ounce.
Priority Flat Mail Postage for 6×9 Envelope
There is another service offered by USPS for the postage of 6×9 envelopes and this service is known as Priority Mail Express service. Priority Mail is the USPS Postage service through which you can post packages of large sizes. Through Priority Mail service you can post packages of up to 9-1/2” x 12-1/2” and therefore 6×9 envelopes fall in this category.
So it means that you can easily send your 6×9 envelope by using the Priority Mail service. Although the cost of delivering packages through Priority Mail is more expensive than First Class Mail service there are many benefits of it and one such benefit is that Priority Mail service is much faster than First Class mail service.
Cost of First Class Postage Mail for 6×9 Envelope
As we have mentioned above that, you can post your 6×9 envelope by using First Class Mail Service and for a First Class 6×9 envelope having a weight of up to 1 oz, you just need one Forever Stamp.
- So to post 1 Ounce, 6×9 Envelope you have to pay the price of 1 Forever Stamps. An important thing to note here is that the price of Forever Stamp is increased by USPS regularly. USPS has recently increased the price of Forever Stamp from $0.58 to $0.60.
- If the weight of 6×9 increases then you will require an additional Stamp for each ounce.
- The cost of one additional Stamp is $0.20
- Therefore if the weight of your 6×9 envelope is more than 1 ounce but up to 2 ounces then you will need 1 Forever Stamp and 1 additional Stamp which will cost you $0.60+$0.20=$0.80.
- If the weight of a 6×9 envelope is more than 2 ounces and up to 3 ounces then it can be posted by using 1 Forever Stamp and 2 Additional Stamp. The total cost for up to 3 ounces 6×9 envelope will be $0.60+$0.20+$0.20=$1.00.
- The maximum weight of a 6×9 envelope can be up to 13 ounces. 6×9 envelopes having a weight of more than 13 ounces can be posted by using the Priority Mail service.
Cost of Priority Flat Mail Postage for 6×9 Envelope
If you want to mail your 6×9 envelope whose weight is more than 13 ounces, then you should choose USPS Priority Mail service. If you want to send a 6×9 envelope within the USA, then you will have to pay a cost of $26.35.
The price of posting 6×9 envelopes through Priority Mail is very high compared to the price of First Class Postage, but this high price offers you various services and advantages.
- The most important benefit of Priority Mail is that they are very quick and usually reach in within 1-3 working days.
- Priority Mail service offers you the benefit of a tracking system which means that you can easily track your package.
- Priority Mail service provides additional protection for your package with guaranteed delivery.
- Priority Mail service also offers you insurance coverage.
Is a 6×9 envelope flat or a letter?
An important question that comes to mind people when they are looking to send their package, is the 6×9 envelope a flat or a letter? Well, the answer to this question is that a 6×9 envelope comes into the category of a letter not a flat. The simple reason behind this is that, for an envelope to come under the category of a Flat an envelope should have a height of at least 6.125 inches, a length of a minimum of 11.5 inches, and a thickness of a minimum of 0.25 inches.
Since a 6×9 envelope does not have the above-mentioned dimensions, so we can’t put it under the category of a ‘Flat’ or ‘Large’ envelope.
As per the rules and regulations by USPS, for an envelope to be considered as a Letter, it must have the following dimensions.
- It must be Rectangular in Shape.
- It must have a minimum height of 3.5 Inches, a minimum thickness of 0.007, and a minimum length of 5 Inches.
- The height, length, and thickness of a letter can’t be larger than 6 1/8 inches, 11.5 Inches, or 1/4 inch respectively.
A 6×9 envelope fits into the above-mentioned dimensions, so it is clearly understood that it is simply a Letter not a Flat.
Conclusion: 6×9 Envelope Postage
From the above information, we can conclude that a 6×9 envelope is basically a letter and it is not a ‘Large Envelope’ or ‘Flat. For the postage of a 6×9 envelope with a weight less than or up to 1 ounce you just 1 First Class Forever Stamp and the rate depends upon the current price of the Forever Stamp which is subject to change.
For a 6×9 envelope with a weight of more than 1 ounce, you need additional Stamps which require extra charges. You can check the prices listed above.